Sunday, December 14, 2014

Its been in my pocket

I remember the Christmas in July's we created.
Maybe we were a little selfish and just wanted gifts more often.maybe. No yeah that's why.
I also remember still being friends, which feels like a whole life ago.

I remember all of us being out too late every night that summer, the cops knew us as the "usuals"
I remember we'd talk about things that couldn't be made sense of, the questions that didn't have answers. And I bet you remember I always got mad those nights because I wanted the answers.

Like why you had to push her away. I hope you know you broke her heart.

I remember the sorrys I wished you'd say every time it got a little rainy (which was all too often) but I just ended up telling myself them.
I remember the promise you made about taking me on your roof to watch the sunset.
I remember knowing it wouldn't actually happen.

I remember when sluffing school got you the label of "rebel" and the moms talking, "don't be hanging with that girl, that kind of influence is not good for you."
I remember when we use to hand out valentine cards to eveyone in class, where now we're stuck waiting for a love that doesn't appear every 14th,
I remember thinking I still had time. And the regret that came shortly after.
I remember where you sat. Front row, 3 over.
I remember treat Friday. Terrible thursday 5th grade worksheets.

I remember when the 5$ we made from our lemonade stand made us feel so accomplished and rich. Although we'd split it, 2 dollars and 2 quarters still felt like you got the whole world in your pocket.

I remember your suburban how you parked on the side of the road in the canyon. You sang to me with your eyes looking down I knew cause mine were locked on you. You told me I had to pick 2 of 3 to tell you. So I picked 1 and made all 3 about you.

I remember thinking my act score didn't matter. Surprise to me: it does, here's to no scholarship. Congrats, let's celebrate.

I remember your face that day you saw everyone jump out and yell happy birthday. You had tears in your eyes and never did you cry.

I remember....
because how could I forget.
They've been in my pocket for 17 years.

1 comment:

  1. YES. yes to all of it.
    Be proud of this post charolette. Its great. And so are you

    ReplyDelete